St. Martin´s Church
Condition after World War II
Warsaw touristic area
How to get
The church and monastery were donated by the Prince of Mazovia and his wife in 1380. The wooden construction was destroyed in a fire in 1478. The reconstruction dragged on for many years.
In the first half of the 18th century, the church was given a classicist façade.
During the Second World War, it was blown up together with the Old Town. From the inventory, only a partially burnt Jesus figure survived. An admirable work of art from the post-war period is the Stations of the Cross by Alma Szydlewska.
As Piwna Street is very narrow, it is almost impossible to see the façade with enough distance.
A flat lane for wheelchair users has been installed on one side of Piwna Street. Difficulties are encountered beforehand, however, on Castle Square, where people have to rely on assistance from third parties.