Image © Walking Poand | Deutsch
The Sigismund Column is the most famous and oldest secular monument in Warsaw. It is 22 m high and stands in the most beautiful square in Warsaw, Castle Square, directly in front of the Old Town and the Royal Castle.
T he 22 m high Sigismund Column was named after Sigismund III. Vasa, King of Poland (1587-1632) and Sweden (1592-1599). His son Wladyslaw IV. Vasa, successor on the Polish throne, had it unveiled in 1644 in honour of his father. It is the oldest secular monument in Warsaw.
The column was replaced by another in 1877, and later renovated in 1929-1931. The current column was re-installed in 1949 after it was hit by a German tank during the Warsaw Uprising of 1944.
There are more details in our detailed description of both the monument and the person of Sigismund.
Type of attraction
In the touristic area?
How to get?