Condition after WWII
In the Warsaw touristic area?
How to get
The first owner and namesake of the Przebendowski Palace was Jan-Jerzy Przebendowski. He belonged to the upper echelons of the Polish nobility (szlachta) and occupied political and military posts in the Royal Republic of Poland-Lithuania.
The history of the palace is marked by numerous changes of ownership, which in turn were accompanied by various adaptations of the function. The palace has served as a residence, a tenement, a café, a storehouse for works of art, a printing press or even a wax museum.
Occasionally, the palace is called Radziwill Palace, named after the last private owner of one of the oldest aristocratic families in Europe, Radziwill.
The building was 70 per cent destroyed, reconstructed in 1948-1949. Since 1991 it has housed the Independence Museum.
What about the street?
It is noticeable that there is a busy road around the palace. This is a main artery connecting eastern Warsaw with western Warsaw. Originally, the palace was to be destroyed to make way for it. But in the end it was agreed that the road would go around it. It doesn’t look good, but at least the palace is still standing. Otherwise we would have another open-air car park in Warsaw!
Our tips in the area
Jewish Historical Institute
Opposite the palace is the Historical Jewish Institute. A museum we recommend.
Renovation work was completed in 2019. The building has three floors, but meets the standards of an accessible building.