Cathedral of St. Mary Magdalene
T he reason for building an Orthodox church on the right side of Warsaw was a steady influx of Eastern Rite believers in the second half of the 19th century. In this part of the city, the historic Praga, the proportion of believers of the Orthodox Church was almost at 15 percent. So that they would not always have to travel to the other side, there was a demand for a new church.
The site for the building was not accidental. The main building of the railway station “Wilenski” already stood opposite. Passengers disembarking here were to be “welcomed” by Russian-influenced architecture.
It was a Russian Orthodox church until 1921, when it was handed over to the Polish Autocephalous Church. This status exists to this day.
The house of prayer survived the Second World War almost intact.
Condition after WWII
In the touristic area?
How to get?
This church is not included, but maybe you’d like to book our special private church tour? For all details and a booking form, please click the box below.
Website of the church
The church is not barrier-free. We strongly recommend that people in wheelchairs seek assistance from others.