Castle Square in Warsaw (Old Town)
This is a touristic overview of the Castle Square in Warsaw. We have refrained from giving a detailed description because everything worth knowing could be accommodated here.
Type of attraction
In the touristic area?
How to get
Castle Square is the most beautiful square in Warsaw. It convinces not only with its uniform and coherent architecture, but above all because of the always lively atmosphere. For the gourmets, there are dozens of cafés, restaurants and bars here, for the culture fans, the museum in the Royal Castle and other museums in the adjacent Old Town, and for those who just want to take a walk, we recommend the most relaxing street in Warsaw, Krakowskie Przedmiescie Street, the northernmost and most beautiful section of Warsaw’s Royal Route.
Castle Square was initially owned by the Princes of Mazovia, who resided in what is now the Royal Castle (then the Prince’s Court), and was thus not subject to municipal jurisdiction. To the west of the Sigismund Column is the brick Gothic bridge, rediscovered only after the Second World War. This was originally the gateway to the city. At that time, Senatorska Street was the arterial road to Krakow. Behind the bridge, a darker stripe can be seen on the ground leading up to the corner of the Royal Castle. This stripe traces the course of the city wall from the 14th century onwards.
The castle square took on its present form in 1818, when part of the wall was demolished and the Sigismund Column was surrounded by a fountain.
Only half of the square is barrier-free. The entire north side is covered with cobblestones. It is very difficult for wheelchair users or people who need a walker to get around. A positive feature is the flat shoulder on Piwna Street. In the future, the city of Warsaw would like to make this square completely barrier-free. At least someone there is aware that this is a serious problem.